29 June 2007

Confession

Friday night: Left to my own devices I will choose the sappiest movies to watch. Well, perhaps not sappy. But I just watched Never Been Kissed. I quite like Drew Barrymore despite her talking out the side of her mouth. I've always wondered if she had a minor stroke or something. And the male lead (oh, Michael Vartan - guess I should have watched Alias) is cute. But why do I put myself through such things? The little misunderstandings. The romance. The kissing. I've come to realize that life is full of little landmines for those of us who don't have ... standard lives. The mention of any New England town. Happy families. The aforementioned kissing. I know most of us aren't standard. We all have our problems, our losses. But the world is constructed for happy families, whether they are the norm or no. Luckily, we all have our happinesses, I hope, and our gains, too. Some of us are lucky enough to have darling little people in our lives, and dear friends and family.

OK, to redeem myself I've just popped in the new Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley. I think I prefer the BBC adaptation (come on, Colin Firth as Darcy), but the interiors in this new one remind me of my home, so back to sappy. Why didn't I pop it in sooner?

So, what are your top ten movies?

Mine would be (there are some copouts, I confess):
  • The Philadelphia Story
  • any Jane Austen adaptation - I know, a copout, but what can I do?
  • Casablanca
  • Rear Window
  • The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
  • La Belle et la Bete - oh, Jean Cocteau, such delightful flights of fancy
  • the sci-fi fantasy series movies of the age: Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Star Wars (at heart I am a geeky girl - hope you're not surprised)
  • So, I Married an Axe Murderer
  • From Russia with Love - my favorite Bond, and there is no one like Sean Connery
  • Xanadu - duh
  • 4 comments:

    1. I like to Shrek with laughter, myself.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I can't stand Kiera Knightly's lips or mouth position....

      Here, here on the Star Wars movies. My other faves are:
      - the Black Stallion
      - any Austin Powers
      - Nightmare Before Christmas or any other Tim Burton movies
      - Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom (although it's been a while since I've seen it)
      - Can't think of any others right now....

      Have a Happy 4th!

      ReplyDelete
    3. "love, actually" is probably my biggest guilty pleasure in the romantic comedy genre. every time i watch it, i turn into a mess. it doesn't help that every one of the vignettes is about love, happens around the holidays, and that everyone (including colin firth!) is british and adorable.

      but as for other movies i like, here are some:
      star wars (most of them)
      amelie
      the royal tenenbaums
      shaun of the dead
      blazing saddles
      the usual suspects
      duck soup
      dr. strangelove
      and most hitchcock

      ReplyDelete
    4. I don't know if the world is necessarily constructed for happy, normal little families, but the Movie World certainly is.

      Left to my own devices, I too will watch sappy, cheesy movies. Last weekend I watched "13 going on 30". I know. Talk about the neat, perfect little ending. Wouldn't it be nice if, at thirty, you could really say "Crap, I messed up and let the love of my life get away, I better get him back, quick!" And then just go and do that. No, in real life you're stuck in a dead end relationship and up to your ears in debt, he's married to someone else already, and you resign yourself to an imperfect life with both happiness AND unhappiness.

      ReplyDelete